Seeking a talented Product Development Engineer who will be the key to developing new products from concept to launch. You will design, engineer, and project manage new products throughout the entire development cycle. Your role involves constant collaboration with departments such as Design, Marketing, Operations, Compliance, Quality and Sales as well as with outside vendors.
FUNCTIONS / RESPONSIBILITIES / SKILLS:
Responsible for the engineering development and project management of new baby toy and juvenile products from initial concept to mass production. Ensure completion of all product development related activities, deliverables, documentation, and PLM database system accuracy from initiation to end of life including the following:
- Support new projects internally and with our contractors and outside vendors to ensure products that meet design specifications, cost targets, scheduled time of delivery and are designed for manufacturing and assembly.
- Create proof of concept models, CAD, drawings, specifications, BOMs and performance documents to define and develop products. Work with internal and external design resources (including our Asia Design and Operations team and outside Designers and consultants).
- Provide detailed cost estimations on new product concepts, working from napkin sketches. Develop a preliminary tool plan, estimate mold sizes, part weights, purchased part costs and labor to provide the design team with costing direction.
- Oversee internal regulatory and durability testing and work with the Compliance team to ensure that products meet all relevant and specified current domestic and international standards throughout the development process.
- Develop early phase proof of concept models for potential new products.
- Work with Marketing and Design to formulate and understand Design Briefs, Product Definitions and translate them into Design Specifications.
- Use PLM database software tools for project and documentation management.
- Conduct in-house regulatory testing to prove out concept/prototype viability.
- Keep project schedules and task lists up to date; upload/update relevant files, photos, notebooks on a daily and weekly basis so the project remains current.
- Create Performance Specifications; Update as necessary throughout the project.
- Daily communication using all with Asia operations and outside vendors to manage the projects. Must be flexible to support periodic video conferences held after hours to accommodate all time zones.
- Complete DMFA analysis on product subassemblies after each prototyping round.
- Develop and analyze product costing to meet target throughout the development process.
- Create/review tooling-ready CAD for projects moving into production.
- Project manage engineering pilots to keep projects on schedule.
- Assemble complete documentation for Hand-off meetings.
- 4 + years’ experience in development of consumer, plastic, or mechanical products.
- Baby, Toy or Juvenile products experience a plus.
- Solidworks (including surfacing); MS Office Word, PowerPoint and Excel
- Product Lifecycle Management tools
- For manufacturing support and product development purposes, your job could involve travel of up to two weeks per quarter, depending on the density of activities for that time period.
- These trips will involve international travel. For this purpose, you will need to hold a valid passport and obtain the necessary visas to allow travel on your passport to China and Europe