|The Product Design Director will lead new product design process for cosmetic (line extensions / packaging) and evolutionary (new product development - intuitive) product development. Provide leadership and technical support for research and development of quality consumer products to meet the business requirements as provided by Product Management. Work collaboratively cross-functionally to deliver great consumer informed products, on time and on budget.
Creatively develop solutions on new product design, features and ease of use while keeping costing and pricing as a key consideration
--Reports to the VP Design & Innovation.
--Travel includes domestic trade shows (not overseas).
- 7-10 years of consumer packaged goods experience in product management and/or product development. Keen focus on understanding the consumer.
- Experienced working with Asian manufacturing partners.
- Strong interpersonal skills with ability to lead, interact, focus, resolve conflict and drive consensus among individuals from a variety of disciplines; strong diplomatic skills.
- Detail-oriented with strong organizational and analytical skills.
- Confident relying on your judgment and past experience to plan and accomplish goals.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Strong project manager skills.
- Intermediately proficient in Microsoft, Google Drive, and Adobe applications (for viewing tech drawings, combining files, making edits)
Candidates can come from the pary, stationery, toy or related industry whereby multiple licenses are used
--The Director will lead product development from concept to production; this includes trending, analyzing market research and consumer insights, and creating product briefs.
--Innovation team is "revolutionary / white space" and develops concepts 2-3 years out; this person's team picks up closer to commercialization and is focused on "evolutionary" change (new product to Wilton and consumer) and "cosmetic" change (ie packaging & line extensions).
--In addition to being an extremely creative problem solver, you must also be strong with financials (this person will manage their own P&L and budget).
--This role is heavily focused on leadership of the team; will also work collaboratively with other Design Directors (there are 3 total as stated above…and another Director of Innovation) and cross-functionally
--There are 3 direct reports (Product Design Managers – product development). They are talented people, but under the past structure were “told what to do”. Under the new structure, the company is seeking someone who can be a strong mentor and develop strong thinkers and problem-solvers. The team must know how to use analytic info and apply it to solving problems and making products compelling to consumers, at a good price point, and feeling first-to-market.
--The company has restructured and is moving to a more sophisticated environment (similar to classic CPG); while they’re a smaller company, the people that will thrive there aren’t the “hands-on in many areas” people, but the people who’ve had ownership / responsibility of product lines and have had a “deep dive”.