As the Mechanical Engineer you will be responsible for the engineering development and project management of new baby toys and juvenile products from initial concept to mass production. Ensure completion of all product development related activities, deliverables, documentation, and PLM database system accuracy from initiation to end of life including the following:
- Support new projects internally and with our contractors and outside vendors to ensure products meet design specifications, cost targets, scheduled time of delivery and are designed for manufacturing and assembly.(50 – 70% of the role based on product mix)
- Create proof of concept models, CAD, drawings, specifications, BOMs and performance documents to define and develop products. Work with internal and external design resources (including our Asia Design and Operations team and outside Designers and consultants). (30 – 50% of the role based on product mix)
- Oversee internal regulatory and durability testing and work with the Compliance team to ensure that products meet all relevant and specified current domestic and international standards throughout the development process.(5 – 10% of the role based on product mix)
- Develop early phase proof of concept models for potential new products.
- Work with Marketing and Design to formulate and understand Design Briefs, Product Definitions and translate them into Design Specifications.
- Use PLM database software tools for project and documentation management.
- Conduct in-house regulatory testing to prove out concept/prototype viability.
- Keep project schedules and task lists up to date; upload/update relevant files, photos, notebooks on a daily and weekly basis so the project remains current.
- Create Performance Specifications - update as necessary throughout the project.
- Daily communication using all methods available with Asia operations and outside vendors to manage the projects. Must be flexible to support periodic video conferences held after hours to accommodate all time zones.
- Complete DFMA analysis on product subassemblies after each prototyping round.
- Develop and analyze product costing to meet target throughout the development process.
- Create/review tooling-ready CAD for projects moving into production.
- Project manage engineering pilots to keep projects on schedule.
- Travel to Asia, as needed, to keep projects on scope/schedule and to learn about production processes and roadblocks to smooth a product trajectory into production.
- Assemble complete documentation for Hand-off meetings.
referred Education and/or Experience
- BS or MS in Mechanical Engineering or equivalent
- 4 + years’ experience in development of consumer, plastic, or mechanical products.
- Baby, Toy or Juvenile products experience a plus.
- Solidworks (including surfacing)
- MS Office Word, PowerPoint and Excel
- Product Lifecycle Management tools