The Design Manager will manage a team of 10 In-house Designers responsible for the development of both licensed and non-licensed products. Coordinate and supervise new projects from concept to completion; create new product ideas and their designs.
TASKS AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following.
- Manage 10 In-house Designers.
- Stay abreast of new design and product trends.
- Design product ensembles- both licensed and non-licensed.
- Work from concept to finished art on the computer for items to send to separators and printers both domestic and overseas.
- Share in approving of all printed product proofs. Sign-off on all color separations for products related to team projects. Talk directly to the Product Production team about any changes for product art.
- Supervise and train Product Designers (all levels).
- Maintain consistent server file organization for licensed and non-licensed projects; ensure that presentations are consistent and that concept sheets for both licensed and non-licensed products match.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
- Excellent skills in Adobe Creative Suite.
- Ability to use licensed/non-licensed style guides.
- Good communication with others in the department, with other departments and with suppliers is necessary.
- Ability to calculate sizes and color percentages.
- Good understanding of offset and flexographic printing processes.
- Ability and experience to manage designers.
- Ability to juggle many projects at the same time.
- Ability to do computer-troubleshooting, assist designers with problems.
EDUCATION AND WORK EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s degree from a four-year art college or university strongly preferred.
- 5 years of related experience and/or training required; 6 or more years preferred.
- Must have 3 or more years of direct supervisory experience.